One of the best ways to help The Common Wheel is by organizing your own bike drive!
We always welcome old bikes that need a new home, and we are excited to get them back on the road! Rescuing bikes from garages, basements, and trash piles allows us to provide rehabilitated transportation options to those in need in the Lancaster community as well as around the world. With a little pre-planning, you can easily change lives in our community and knock out this awesome volunteer event in one day.
Steps to Organize a Bicycle Drive:
- Plan the Drive Day: We suggest a one day (weekend) bike drive event. Fall can be a great time as we move toward our Holiday Bicycle Drive, which is specifically for kid’s bikes, but the spring or early summer also work well as many people are spring cleaning. Offering a 3-5 hour window of drop off time provides flexibility for people with donations and will allow you to maximize your drive. If possible, hold the drive at a school, business, community center, or other easily recognizable location. When considering the number of volunteers needed for your drive, you might consider who could greet and direct people with donations, who could accept and organize donated bikes, and who will load and transport the donations.
- Spread the Word: Design a straightforward flyer that you can post on social media and send via email to family, friends, and co-workers. Be sure to share how vital bicycle donations are for the community and The Common Wheel. If you need help creating something like this, let us know. We are happy to help! Please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Big Day: Consider creating signs to direct people to the drive and drop off area. It’s helpful to plan how you might direct vehicles for safety as well as what will help make transporting the donated bikes easiest at the conclusion of the event. We accept all bicycles, bike accessories, and bike parts, regardless of condition. All donations are tax-deductible, and we can provide you with tax donation receipts for your drive.
- Transporting Bicycle Donations: If at all possible, we greatly appreciate you transporting the bikes to The Common Wheel at 701 East King Street in Lancaster City; by transporting the bike donations, you allow us to put more energy into rehabilitating bikes and enhancing our programs. Conveniently, we have a small driveway off of East King Street or a larger parking lot behind our building off of East Orange Street. If you are unable to transport your donation, we are able to help with some notice. Please contact email@example.com in advance of your event for help with transportation.
- Celebrate your Successful Contribution to the Community!
Thank you for your interest in contributing to our community and
helping us to change lives through the power of bikes!