Program Director Job Description
The Common Wheel, a non-profit community bicycle shop, is seeking a Program Director. Become a part of a very rewarding organization in Lancaster, PA. Our mission is to improve lives in Lancaster through the power of bicycles. Visit our shop or website to learn more about what we do. Below you will also find a detailed job description.
Applicants must have a minimum of two years of non-profit program experience. They must possess excellent organizational skills and be good at working with a diverse group of volunteers, members, and program participants. While the prospective candidate will not necessarily need bicycle mechanical skills, knowledge and love of bicycles is a plus, as is experience in youth programming and youth STEM skill building.
The Program Director assumes primary responsibility for developing, scheduling, and overseeing all programs and program-related staff; works directly with the Executive Director and the Shop Manager and interacts with other staff and volunteers. An understanding of required State and Federal Background Checks is required.
- Identify, develop, and implement high quality programming and curriculum for our adult and youth programs
- Seek out and develop relationships with individuals and businesses that support our programs
- Recruit, register and track all program participants
- Recruit and manage volunteers
- Support Bicycle Shop Staff as needed during business hours
- Ensure compliance with all requirements of funders and authorities, including grant reporting, volunteer clearances, and data tracking
- Assist the team in developing and implementing volunteer trainings
- Managing program schedules and enrollments
- Ensure effective systems to track youth development and outcomes and regularly evaluate program outcomes and recommend improvements
- Support The Common Wheel’s development efforts through participation in fundraising events, tours, meetings with funders or donors, and identification of stories for communication
- Assist with grant writing and reporting
- Other duties not listed here may be assigned
- At least 2 years of working in youth development / with youth is required
- Ability to work effectively with diverse staff, parents and community members.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Organization and planning skills
- Experience working with community organizations and schools in under-resourced areas
Candidates should also bring an action-oriented, entrepreneurial, and innovative approach to planning.
All candidates must be mission-driven, self-directed, and have a positive attitude.
Things that will help you stand out in the crowd:
- You have experience with bicycle sales and service and / or bicycle programming for youth
- Experience in grant writing
- Outdoors / Experiential Education Experience
How to Apply
- Please email a resume and cover letter to Chris Caldwell at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please write The Common Wheel Program Director in the subject line.