Part-Time Mechanic and Instructor
General Position Summary:
A Mechanic and Instructor would be responsible for supporting the mission of The Common Wheel. This includes assessing, repairing, and refurbishing bicycles, assisting customers with diagnosing problems and choosing parts and accessories, and also helping to teach or lead maintenance workshops for both kids and adults. This position will require understanding of bicycle assessment and repair procedures, attention to detail, and the ability to act as an ambassador for The Common Wheel
Essential Job Functions / Responsibilities
- Assess bicycles of various quality and estimate repairs needed
- Fully refurbish donated bicycles of varying condition and age to established standards of quality
- Educate customers about operation and maintenance of bicycles, parts and accessories
- Assist customers, answer the shop phone, and operate a cloud-based POS system
- Help to maintain a clean and organized work space
- Communicate our program efforts and mission to the public
- Ensure that every customer leaves with a good experience
- 1 year minimum experience working as a professional bicycle mechanic
- Awareness of era and brand compatibilities
- Exemplary time management and problem solving skills
- Ability to maintain focus and self-direct
- Willingness to accept feedback
- Ability to physically complete job duties including heavy lifting up to 50 lbs.
- Effective written and verbal communication
- Ability to work in a collaborative and (sometimes) hectic environment
- Commitment to and respect for equity, sustainability, diversity, and a belief in our mission
Additional Skills (desired, but not necessary)
- Bilingual in Spanish and English
- Basic construction / carpentry skills
- Experience working with youth
How to Apply:
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject: RE: Bike Mechanic.
Answer these questions:
- Why do you want this position?
- Why would you be the ideal candidate?
- What experiences do you have that are relevant to this position?
Please also include 2 references.
Pay Rate and Benefits
Pay Rate: Competitive bike mechanic rate
Term: Seasonal – Position lasts until October –
Schedule: 15 – 20 hrs/wk, includes Saturdays from 10am – 3pm
Benefits: Used Parts Allowance, New Parts + Accessories at Cost